Saturday 28 September 2013

Whoo hoo!

Whoohoo!  I have been inspired :)  My mum, Katie and I all went to a talk by the "Whoohoo" lady last week and I now feel the need to share her with you!  Everything she said made so much sense!  Without going into too much detail, she is the original inspiration for Katie and I to make dietary changes in our lives, and now that I have heard her speak, I am more determined to make an effort.  Basically, she believes that food is the key to our health and that if we eat more truly natural foods (none of this fake 'natural' food or "goo" as she calls it) we will feel much better for it.  If you would like to read more about her you can check out her site here.

As I have said in my past blogs, I will slowly do this, replacing 'goo' food with good food as we run out of things.  So some of the things I am changing are: coffee, sugar, flour, cereal, bread.
So far the coffee is a hit, strong flavour and tastes great with some honey as a sweetener :) (I know I thought it sounded weird at first too, but really you should try it!)  Have yet to try the others but will keep you up to date on my findings.  For those of you who are interested, the sugar is Panella, the flour I am changing to Organic Stoneground flour and the bread I will make from scratch using fresh yeast.

Obviously the recipes I am sharing with you today, won't have my new diet plan in place as I made these before going to the talk.

Firstly, I have a Peach Pie :)

Sweet short pastry ( I will endeavour to make this myself next time)
Stewed black boy peaches
cinnamon
nutmeg
sugar
flour

I used peaches that I had previously stewed and frozen, but you could make them from scratch (cut into small pieces, add a smidge of water and sugar and heat until softened)
I added 1Tbsp flour, 1/2tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg to the peaches - mix.
Roll out pastry and line pie tin, if you have enough leftover you could cut out some shapes for on top, or strips to stripe the top with.
Pour peach mix into pie dish, cover with extra pastry and then sprinkle sugar ontop - I think I used demerera sugar.
Put in oven 180C until pastry is browning.

So this recipe would easily be transferrable to the new dietary plan - homemade pastry using the changed flour.  Peaches, cinnamon, nutmeg all fine.  Again change the flour and the sugar to panella.

I also made a Spiced Apple Cake

125g butter
2 medium apples grated with skins on
1C sugar
1 egg
1 1/2C  wholemeal flour
1tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
1tsp mixed spice

Topping:
1 1/2Tbsp melted butter
1/2C rolled oats
1/4C brown sugar
1tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 180C
Melt butter, remove from heat and add apples, sugar and egg.  Beat well and fold in sifted ingredients.
Line bottom of a spring form pan, pour mix in. 
Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over top.
Bake for 30-45mins until centre springs back when pressed lightly.


Again, you can make this in the new way with the changed flour and sugar, the rest is pretty much the same :)


It's my sons birthday tomorrow, and we had a casual family dinner last week for it.  I made him a cake in the shape of a PSP (his request) I think it could have looked better, but he seemed suitably impressed with it :)  I also made a whole heap of food that does NOT fit the new way, but as I said, I am slowly making changes, and this stuff had already been bought.


One thing I made (but sadly no photo for you) was sticky chorizo.  It was amazing!   And probably super bad for you, but good as a treat food.  Basically, get some good quality chorizo (remove skin if that paper stuff), cut it into chunks.  Place in hot frying pan (no oil needed as it has lots of natural fats in it).  Cook until browned.  Add vinegar - I used Raspberry vinegar, but you could use any really (or maybe lemon juice) then drizzle some runny honey over top and continue cooking and tossing until it gets all sticky.  ENJOY!

I can't for the life of me, remember much else that I have made these past few weeks!  I know I know, I've become slack :( I will make more of an effort I promise!  And don't worry, I will still be posting lots of yummy recipes on here, just with a bit of luck, they will be better 'goo' free recipes :)  Obviously everything has to pass the family seal of approval also.  I'm hoping they will get behind me on this. 

Anywhoodle lovelies, have a great week!  Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment