Sunday 13 October 2013

Pantry fillers

I've been at it again :) Bread, tomato sauce, muesli, biscuits and the yummiest meal ever!  I've been trying to be as 'goo' free as possible.  The tomato sauce  however, does have vinegar in it, but I figure this is ok for two reasons:
1- I used white vinegar not malt vinegar
2- If I am making it myself then I know what has gone into it, rather than buying it and knowing only what they allow me to see on the label.

The yummiest meal ever, also had some sweet chilli sauce in it (but only a Tablespoon), though you could probably make it without.

Anywho, I managed to make a round loaf of bread this week which wasn't too bad - a little doughy though.  I also attempted bread rolls

As you can see they are quite rounded!  They did taste quite nice though - we had them with the homemade tomato sauce, and burger patties (mince, breadcrumbs, egg, wholemeal flour, curry, bbq sauce, salt and pepper).

Tomato Sauce (recipe care of Katie)

1/4Tbsp salt
1/4tsp curry powder
1/3tsp mustard powder
1 onion diced finely
125ml white vinegar
125g raw sugar
1 tin tomatoes (or 500g fresh tomatoes)

Mix all ingredients together and boil for 1/2 hour.  I would recommend putting it through a blender if you want a smooth consistency.  I doubled this recipe and got three jam jars worth out of it.  For those of you who haven't done a lot of preserving etc - you sterilize jars first (I boil i large pot while sauce is cooking).  If you pour sauce into jars while still hot and put lids on, they will reseal so that your sauce  will last.

This recipe is the closest to Watties that I have found so far :)


My muesli this week consisted of: rolled oats, all bran, dried blueberries, chopped pecans, coconut and the same liquid as last time (olive oil, honey, brown sugar).  Very tasty even if I do say so myself :)


The biscuit recipe I made, is one from the goo free cookbook.

Chocolate Chippie Bikkies

250g butter
2tsp baking soda
1/2C raw sugar
2C flour (organic stoneground)
1C dark chocolate (lindt or other goo free)

Cream butter and sugar, add remaining ingredients.  Mix then roll into balls (Tbsp size) and place on baking tray.  Flatten slighly.  Bake at 180 C for 15-20 mins

Now I used Signature Range dark chocolate drops, not goo free, but better than most other baking chocolates.  When I first tasted these biscuits I thought they were a little plain and perhaps needed a little vanilla in them, however I grew to love them!  Especially dunked in coffee!  The kids all loved these ones too - my son thought they were similar to cookie time cookies so that's gotta be a good thing!  A lot of butter though I know.  I may try and alter the recipe a little.

Before I get onto the yummiest meal ever, I thought I would share some things that I think everyone should know how to do.  So easy  and yet most people buy ready made - and really you can use what you have at home and save yourself a bit of money :)

Firstly - Stock.  Everyone can do this!  Whenever you have a roast (or you can buy soup bones for this also), don't just throw away the bones.  Put them into a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil.  If you have any leftover gravy, veges etc you can throw them in there too.  Simmer for several hours, until it has reduced down quite a bit.  Drain through a sieve and freeze for later use.

Gravy.  Using the cooking juices from the roast meat (first removing excess fat) place over heat.  Whisk in some flour (you only need a tablespoon or two) this will thicken it a lot, so you will need to add some boiling water.  Keep stirring until you have the consistency you like.  You can also add jam or sauce to the gravy for extra flavour - also wine can be added.


Now .... Drumroll please ...

Chicken Potatoes and Bacon!

This recipe was on Facebook, and I finally made it last week.  The best recipe off Facebook so far!

1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cubed (1″)
6-8 medium skin on red potatoes, cut in 1/2″ cubes
1/3 c olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp hot sauce (more if you like it HOT)

Topping:

2 c fiesta blend cheese
1 c crumbled bacon
1 c diced green onion

How to Make:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9X13″ baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and hot sauce. Add the cubed potatoes and chicken and stir to coat. Carefully scoop the potatoes and chicken into the prepared baking dish..
3. Bake the potatoes and chicken for 55-60 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes, until cooked through, crispy, and browned on the outside. While the potatoes are cooking, fry your bacon (about half a pound).
4. Once the potatoes and chicken are fully cooked, remove from the oven. Top the cooked potatoes with the the cheese, bacon, and green onion. Return the casserole to the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Ok, so I used one chicken breast not a pound, I used white potatoes, garlic salt instead of powder and salt, and sweet chilli sauce instead of hot sauce.  I also put the "sauce" ingredients directly into the dish and then added the chicken and potatoes to it and mixed them round.  It will look like you have excess sauce, but because you keep stirring it, you are basting it in the extra stuff and end up with very little left over.


It was absolutely devine!  I highly recommend this one guys.  If you only make one of my recipes that I share with you - this should be it!

Anyways, I shall leave you with that mouthwatering meal idea :) Have a great week guys!  Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment