Sunday 8 February 2015

It's been a while...

Hello one and all!  I realise this is the first time I've written since the new year began, very slack of me!  I guess with the Facebook page it's too easy to just post directly on that.  I will endeavour to write more.

This week I have two recipes for you.  One I posted on my page, but changed it (as per usual) and the other I got from the Ceres cookbook (and again, altered slightly.)

I recently joined a FB page for slow cooker recipes and now my newsfeed is  bombarded with peoples recipe suggestions and I am really looking forward to trying some of them.  It's always nice to try new things in the slow cooker.  Anyway, this one was called "Kill a kilo soup" and I thought "Brilliant!  I could do with losing a kilo!"  I perused the recipe, and not only did it sound yummy, but all the ingredients, I happened to have in the fridge and pantry.  If you want the original recipe then you can find it on my FB page, but here I will post it the way I did it.

Kill a kilo soup

2 onions
4tsp crushed garlic
1/2 cabbage
1 capsicum
2 carrots
2 zucchini
1 tin tomatoes
French onion soup packet
500ml water
chilli flakes

Now you just chop it all up and throw it in the slow cooker for 4hours.  I just had it on low as I was going to have it on most of the day.  Now here's the thing.  It probably would have been fine as it was, but when I got home at lunch time, I wasn't so keen on the smell of it.  I tried the broth of it and wasn't terribly impressed with that either.  So I mashed it - as I had seen that they did that on the FB recipe too.  It tasted slightly better but still not that great.  So I added about 1Cup of dried chickpeas and some meatballs that I had in the freezer. 
The longer it cooked, the better it tasted.  I served it with a dollop of sour cream and bread.  I think the meatballs really didn't need to be in there but the chickpeas were a great addition.


(You'll have to excuse the photo - I was sure it was clearer than that when I took it!)

The second recipe I have for you is a cookie one.  They are Almond Butter cookies - however I didn't quite have enough so I used a little nutella and LSA in place.  They were fantastic!  Chewy and crunchy - just the way I like them.

1 Cup Almond Butter (or 1/2C almond butter, 1/2C nutella)
3/4C Demerera Sugar
1 egg
1tsp vanilla
1/2tsp baking soda
1/4tsp salt
Almonds chopped

Preheat oven to 180C
In a large bowl, beat together all ingredients except chopped almonds.
Scoop out tablespoon portions and arrange on baking tray with plenty of room for them to spread.  With wet hands, flatten slightly.
Sprinkle chopped nuts in centre of cookies.
Bake for 10-13mins until golden around the edges.  Cool on the tray before putting on wire rack.


So there you have it, two awesome recipes that are super simple to make.  If you haven't already, then like my FB page!  Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment