Wednesday 26 June 2013

Drum roll please!

Alrighty, are you ready for this?  I have decided to share with you, my tan square recipe!  This is one that my Mum used to make, and I have yet to find a recipe better than this.  Not even the cafe's can compete with this one!  Ask anyone who has tried it, they will tell you the same thing :)

This is the same recipe that I have shared with a few friends - who attempted, and sadly failed to replicate.  I don't quite know how it works for me and not others, but it seems to be that way.  Don't let that put you off though!

One very important note for this recipe, is that the condensed milk MUST be Nestle Highlander condensed milk - no other one works the same.  It must also be the original NOT the lite one.  The caramel just doesn't thicken enough with anything else.

Tan Square

175g butter
1/2 C sugar
3 C flour

Melt butter, beat in sugar, add flour and mix together.  It will be very crumbly - basically like flour with a few lumps in it. 
Press majority of this into a lined (important to line this recipe) slice tin.  Using the back of a spoon, smooth it over, you don't want any dips.

In a saucepan:

100g butter
1tsp vanilla essence
2 Tbsp golden syrup (I just eyeball it)
1 tin condensed milk * see note above

Heat gently, stirring occasionally.  You want to keep an eye on it, so that it doesn't heat too fast and start to burn.  Once butter has melted then remove from heat.  It should be nice and thick.
Pour over the base.  Spread to cover all the base, and sprinkle the remaining flour mix over top - use as much as you like.  Put in oven and bake at 180 C for 15 - 20 mins or until sides just start to brown.

Let it cool before slicing.  It is best kept in the fridge.



Looks good doesn't it? :)
I have also been thinking about the Chocolate Lasagne from last week, and how I could make it even better.  I think I may have come up with an answer!  Don't get me wrong, it was great, but I feel that with a name like that, it needed to be a bit more chocolatey, and what I have in mind would make it more decadent.
Home made chocolate mousse!  This is a creamy, delicious addition instead of the chocolate pudding.  I think I might have to try it and then let everyone know how it goes.  If you're going to try it though, you have to make it properly, none of this store bought mousse.  I use cream, egg yolks, chocolate (either dark or white works well), and a little sugar.  It is the best!
I also like to make this when I am making a pavlova.  I split my pav mix into two discs, and then sandwich them together with the chocolate mousse, top with cream and berries (whole or pureed), and shaved chocolate.  It ... is ... DIVINE!!!!  Of course I will make one to show you one of these weeks too :)
Anyways, just a short one this week, as I'm away again this weekend :)  Happy experimenting!


No comments:

Post a Comment