Wednesday 12 June 2013

Sugary sweetness

Wow!  I made some cupcakes today ... the title of this blog pretty much says it all.  My sister sent me a link on my Facebook page suggesting I make them, so I figured, Why not?  I mean with a name like "Cookie crazy cupcakes" how could I possibly resist??

This is what they are meant to look like (note I said "meant")
This is what mine looked like:
Reasonably close, though the cookie dough part doesn't really stand out.  It kinda just looks like I somehow put a clump of choc chips in the middle of the cupcake.  As the recipe didn't state the recipes of either part, I think I did pretty good.  I used my favourite choc chip recipe - though slight mishap, I used baking powder instead of baking soda - and still had plenty leftover to make some cookies as well :)  Pantry fully stocked - check!
Also because there were extra parts to this, it made 17 cupcakes instead of the usual 12.  With the flavour as sweet as it is, you could easily just eat half of one and save the rest for later, so all in all, you get a lot for little effort.

Anywho, here are the pics of baking progress:



If you look closely at the last pic, cupcake on the top right and one diagonally left of it, have funny looking icing.  Somehow I managed to get a crystallized bit of sugar stuck in the piping nozzle part way through and it just started shooting out all 'floofy' - yes I am aware that I seem to have a lot of icing mishaps, I don't know what it is about me and icing!

I should probably mention that I just used a vanilla cupcake and buttercream as I didn't want to overdo the chocolatey goodness.  I would also like to point out that this recipe was harder to judge when they were ready as the cookie dough part makes the centre take longer and it kinda bubbles a bit.  They definitely took longer than normal.

I know you're all dying to know my cookie recipe :) so here it is!

Choc chip cookies

75g butter
1/2 C each brown and white sugar
1 egg
1/2 C choc chips
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 C flour

Preheat oven to 180 C
Melt butter, add sugars and egg.  Beat with a fork.
Add choc chips and mix
Add baking soda and flour
Roll into walnut size balls, leaving room to spread and flatten slightly with a fork.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden

The great thing about these cookies is that you can bring them out when just starting to colour and have them be chewy, or you can leave them a little longer until they start to just flatten a bit more and have them crunchy (just like a bought one!).  I recommend using dark choc drops.

Another recipe I wanted to share with you, is a family favourite.  Falafel. 
A few years ago, my sister and I went to a Mediteranean cooking class, which was so much fun, and it was here that I learned to make my own falafel.  And the great thing is, it's healthy and the whole family love it!  (Even my husband who loves his meat.) 
Now I have to warn that this is one of those recipes that others don't seem to be able to replicate - including my sister - so don't be disheartened if it doesn't work the first time.

Falafel

3/4 C chickpeas (the dry ones, not tinned) soaked overnight - or for a minimum of 8 hours
garlic clove crushed
good handful of parsley
salt and pepper
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 onion (optional)

Once chickpeas have soaked, drain them and put in food processor with other ingredients.  Process, pulsing until you get the desired consistency. (see pic)
Scrape into a container, cover and leave in fridge for minimum of half hour.
When ready to cook, scoop into balls - I use two forks and fill my palm with mix and then squeeze until ball is formed.  Now mix is easily broken up so you want to gently place it down and make a few more.
Heat oil in pan - you want the pan to be covered and there to be a layer - we're not deepfrying, but does need a bit of oil.
When hot, gently ease balls into pan.  Cook until browned on each side - cook first side for longer so it will hold together when you flip it.  I again use the forks for this part.
Once cooked, place on paper towel to drain a bit.

To serve - we make either burgers or wraps - you want to put a few falafels onto whichever one you are using, and flatten slightly with a fork.  Sprinkle grated cheese on top, swirl on some yoghurt garlic dressing and sauce of your choice (bbq or sweet chilli are best), grated carrot and tomato on top and then if using wraps you want to roll it up in tinfoil and place in sandwich press to seal and heat other ingredients.





So there you have it, one sweet and one savoury recipe for y'all this time :)  Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment