Saturday 3 February 2018

Home made creamed corn

Hello my lovelies!

I have some news! So, as per usual, over the holiday season I overindulged in delicious food, and now my waistline is feeling it! The hubster came home from work one day, saying that they were going to have a 'biggest loser' competition at work, so, me being the supportive wife that I am, I decided to embark on a journey of weight loss with him. It's been two weeks so far, and I've lost 3.2kg which I'm pretty proud of :)

While we were out on our walk this morning, a thought popped into my head. Why not write a new recipe book, based on low cal, high flavour foods? I've tried recipes over the years that have been rather bland, and I can tell you, as a foodie, I need the flavour. So, over the next few weeks/months, I'm going to work on some new recipes with lower calories, but still a great flavour, to put into a cookbook :)

Now, for my recipe (and one that will be in the cookbook),

Homemade Creamed Corn

serves 4

5 fresh corn cobs
1 small onion, diced
1/2 a red capsicum, diced
1 clove crushed garlic
I Tbsp butter

*this recipe does involve a little bit of splatter, so an apron is recommended*

Firstly, peel the outer layers off the corn cobs, and make sure you snap off the knobbly bit at the end so you have a flat surface to work with. Stand the cob on a cutting board, and using a large, sharp knife, slice down each side to remove the corn kernels.

Now for the messy part. Turn your knife around, so that the blunt side is against the corn husk, and slide it down the cob to get the 'corn milk' from inside.


This is what it should look like when you're done

Do this for each corn cob and add to a large bowl.

Finely dice your onion and add to a large frying pan with the butter. Fry for a minute before adding the garlic.

Dice your capsicum and add to the bowl with the corn.

Once onion has softened, pour the bowl of corn into the pan, making sure to scrape out all the milky bits - this is what makes it creamy.


Season with salt and pepper, and add about 1/3C water. Cover and simmer for approx 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  If it starts to stick, add a little more water and give it a stir.

Serve this on toast or as a side dish.


There you have it, my first low cal recipe! I will keep y'all updated on the progress of the book as I go. But for now, enjoy your weekend, and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment