Friday 24 May 2013

Inspiration

As many of you know, I love to cook and try new recipes.  I'm always finding new 'favourite' chefs to watch and learn from.  The one I have loved to watch the most - for entertainment value as well as recipe ideas, is Jamie Oliver.  I love how passionate he is about food and flavour.  Even the most boring sounding meal (or one made with foods I don't particularly like), sound amazing when he is letting you in on his secrets to making each dish just right.  He inspires me to try different things and experiment.  I find myself stocking up on all these wonderful spices that I never would have used in the past, as well as looking at the quality of the product and not just the price!
And yes, sometimes my recipes have a high fat content, but I've never been one to count calories.  I believe that food is to be enjoyed, so why not indulge?  

You can probably tell that I quite enjoy making sweet treats, you might go so far as to say, I'm kinda awesome when it comes to desserts, and of course my 'famous' tan square!  Perhaps one day I will share this recipe with you - though be warned - some have tried to replicate, and failed :(

Anywhoodle, I thought just for a change, I would share something on the healthier side of things; savoury also.

As I said earlier, Jamie Oliver inspires me.  This recipe is my version of his 'twist on a lamb tagine'

2 lamb leg steaks
Garam Masala
Salt and Pepper

Couscous

Tomato
Onion
Chilli
Turmeric
Sumac
Water
Lemon Rice Bran Oil

Firstly, put 1C of couscous in a bowl, cover with 2C boiling water and a pinch of salt.  Cover with a plate and leave to absorb. 

Cut the lamb into bite size chunks, sprinkle a generous amount of garam masala on top, and season with Prenzel Manuka salt and pepper.  Move meat around to season both sides.  Flatten slightly with the palm of the hand.

Heat oil in large pan -  I used Prenzel Tuscan Rice Bran Oil for this :) - Add meat and cook on both sides for about 10 minutes in total.

Now for the tagine part.  Chop onion and tomato (I used one, but if feeding more people then add more).  Heat Prenzel Lemon Rice Bran Oil in pan and fry onion and tomato, softening.  Add chilli (to taste).  The original recipe called for saffron but I had none of this, so I added a sprinkle of Turmeric and Sumac.  Add water to make it like a creamy sauce texture.  Simmer for a few minutes.

To serve, fluff couscous with a fork, then spread on plate.  Top with tagine mix, followed by lamb and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.  I also added a dollop of sour cream, though you could use yoghurt too.



Looks good huh? Was nice to have something different to the norm for dinner.  I would probably try this with yoghurt next time as I think that would balance the flavours nicely.  And I would cut the pieces slightly smaller - as I said in the recipe, bite size chunks.

*And before you ask - yes, I am a Prenzel agent :) you can even check me out on Facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stacey-Broadbent-Prenzel-Pantry-Agent/249898965139069?ref=hl
 
Well I best be off.  We've got friends coming for dinner tonight, and I have dessert to prepare! 

No comments:

Post a Comment