Friday 7 October 2016

Bacon and Onion Bombs!

Hey hey!

A couple of nights ago, my husband showed me a video he had found on FB with a recipe for these interesting looking meatballs wrapped in onion and bacon, so I thought I would re-create these with my own recipe :) 

I will admit, it wasn't a hit with the girls - one ate the bacon from the outside and refused to eat the rest because it was onion, and the other only ate the centre.  Hubby, my son and I all thought it was delicious, though!  It was a little like eating a burger without the bun.

Here's what I did:

Bacon and Onion Bombs

500g mince
1/3C breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1Tbsp wholegrain mustard
2-3Tbsp BBQ sauce
1/4C grated cheese

Combine the above ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper.


Grab one or two large onions, cut the ends off and slice halfway through so you can peel off layers.  this does take a bit of patience and a steady hand!
Roll a portion of mince into a ball and slide into each onion layer.


Secure two strips of streaky bacon around each ball - make sure the seam is at the bottom so it sits on the tray.


Bake in the oven at 200C for around 45mins.  Bacon should be crispy, onions softened and mince cooked through.


As you can see from the pic, a lot oozed out while cooking - but this will be a combination of melted cheese and fat from the meat.  You could omit the cheese if you prefer.


We dipped ours into sweet chilli sauce and it was divine!

This is definitely a make-again recipe for us and I hope you enjoy it too!  Have a great weekend, and Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment